You did it momma! You brought a beautiful miracle into this world.
I am guessing that you spent your entire pregnancy preparing for this exact moment. Even so, you are worried and overwhelmed. This world is crazy and seems too unfit for your baby. I get it, I am having the same feelings.
Obviously your story will be different from anyone else, but I wanted to write on some common experiences.
- The ideal parent in your head does not exist. Honestly perfect parents just don’t exist. There are many parents that you can learn from and they can learn from you, You will never meet anyone who just has all of the answers you need. Everyone is just doing their best and doing what works for them and their family.
- Having a baby is hard work. Newborns are adorable and exhausting. Lower your expectations of what you can accomplish everyday. Find a system that works for you and if anyone offers help, take them up on that offer!
- Great mom friends are NOT competitive. Everyone has a little competitive nature in them. When you see a child hit a milestone before your child it can make you feel like you are not doing something right. Just remember that what you need are mom friends that cheer you and cheer you up. Surround yourself with women who are encouraging and you do the same!
- You are going to be judged. No matter what you choose to give your baby or not give your baby, you are going to be judged for it. There will be people if you choose to breastfeed that are against it or give you weird looks if you are feeding your baby in public. I have dealt with that with my oldest and I am sure I will go through it with this baby as well. There will be no end to the judging, you just have to ignore it. As long as your baby is happy and healthy, then who cares.
- Sleep when baby sleeps? HAHA! When someone tells me this, I just laugh. There is so much you can get done while baby is sleeping. Some days when my oldest was a newborn, I would get everything done for two days in one day and then try to nap. It was hard honestly because my brain just did not want to shut off thinking about everything else I could get done. Or just have some mommy time while baby is sleeping is amazing! The amount of sleep that you will learn to function on is crazy! Sleep while you can when you are pregnant. I have a four year old and another on the way, I love to relax and try to nap when I can.
- You will learn to only use one hand for everything. You will become a master multitasker. Babies do not understand that their moms need to do other things as well. You will learn to do everything with one hand. This might make you laugh but it’s the truth, I have learned to do things with my nose and mouth as well. haha. Invest in a baby carrier! It will be a life savor I promise. Especially if you have more than one child.
You have so much to look forward to including: first words, crawling, standing on their own, walking, lots of kisses, bedtime stories and holidays. For now, snuggle with that beautiful baby and treasure this point in time!
You are already an amazing momma!